A hoodie doesn’t just keep you warm in cold weather; you can also wear this versatile piece as trendy sportswear, loungewear, or chic streetwear. Read on to learn how to style a hoodie in order to make your favorite outerwear luxe.
What Is a Hoodie
A hoodie is a hooded sweatshirt, typically featuring drawstrings at the neck for adjusting the hood’s fit. This multipurpose garment comes in three common styles: a full zip-up, a half zip-up, or a pullover. Cotton, polyester, or a blend of both are the most common fabrics that fashion brands use to make hoodies.
Follow these style tips when brainstorming fashionable hoodie outfit ideas.
- 1. Be intentional about color. Use the color of your hoodie to accentuate your outfit. Pairing a neutral black, brown, white, or gray hoodie with the right accessories (like luxury jewelry) can establish a sophisticated, high-end look. If you’re going for a more playful vibe, opt for vibrant colors that pop and make a statement. Check out this breakdown on how to accessorize different looks.
- 2. Layer underneath a jacket. An oversized pullover hoodie makes a stellar layering piece under many jacket styles for a cold day. Cover your hoodie with a bomber jacket, and finish the outfit with a pair of straight-leg jeans and white sneakers for a streetwear-inspired casual look. Pair the same outfit with a trench coat (for classic flair), a blazer (for office dress codes), a pea coat, or a denim jacket to switch it up. Style an oversized hoodie as a dress underneath a black leather jacket and combat boots for some edge.
- 3. Accessorize the look. Accessorize a hoodie of any color with trendy sunglasses, a pair of hoop earrings, and an oversized wristwatch to add flair and personality to your outfit. Mix and match jewelry, hats, glasses, and scarves to find a look that complements your hoodie.
- 4. Embrace athleisure for comfort and style. The athleisure trend—which brings fashionable athletic clothing out of the gym—prioritizes comfort without sacrificing style, and fashion hoodies are ideal for this look. Style a slim zip-up hoodie over a crew-neck T-shirt as the foundation of your outfit. (Choose a black hoodie for a sleek look.) Pair these tops with fitted joggers, leggings, or an athletic skort or tennis skirt.
- 5. Zip-up hoodies look best unzipped. An open zip-up hoodie over a plain T-shirt is a classic combo that’s remained stylish throughout decades of fashion cycles. If you’re not planning to leave your hoodie unzipped, opt for a pullover hoodie. A pullover gives you a sleeker look than a zipped hoodie by eliminating the line of zipper teeth down the middle of the look.